Thursday, May 07, 2009

Asus EEE 900 arrived and unboxed and observed

I was eager for the day when this was to show up. As mentioned above, this was an inexpensive computer with the specs to match: 8.9" screen, Card reader, microphone (but no web cam), 3 USB ports, undersized keyboard (90%), Wifi, Intel® Mobile 900 MHz CPU, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 4GB SSD (really?), speakers, VGA out, earphone jack, 9"x 7" x 1.5", 2.2lbs (1kg). Linux.

The package came with the computer, the battery, AC recharger, customer service sheet, user manual, and recovery CD (computer has no drive). Not much. The battery was clipped on and I charged it up while looking at the paperwork. The customer service sheet was a quick reference sheet, and the manual wasn't much better, but gave more detailed descriptions of the installed apps.

This leads directly to my first comment: it's setup to be an appliance. I was shocked that the interface was a series of tabs (Internet, Work, Play, Settings) with giant icons for the various programs. I was expecting it to be much harder to use, or at least similar to the mac or PC graphical user interface (GUI). However, this has turned into a bad thing, as I'm stuck with it (for now), and can't modify it at all (except for a favorites tab where I can have a BEST OF installed programs list).

No comments: