Friday, May 08, 2009

Asus EEE 900 analysis pt 2: Keyboard

It's been said before, but I have to say it again: the keyboard is too small. None of these post have been fully done on the 900 as I type slower on it or there are many errors. The most common errors are a single space after a period, and hitting the 9 key instead of the I key. If the lights are on and the laptop is on a table, I can go at an ok speed touch typing while looking at the keyboard, or even slower 'hunt and pecking'.

I use my left pinky to hit the Shift key, so the layout of the arrow keys and the right shift key doesn't bother ME, but I understand that putting the shift key to the right of the up arrow annoys some. I must like this part of the layout, as I can use all four arrow keys in the dark without any problems.

I miss having a separate numeric keypad. I use it a lot on a regular 101 keyboard, and I keep hitting the wrong number on the top row of the small keyboard because it's shifted one over, with the 1 key being at the far left side of the keyboard, instead of the ` key.

No comments: