Thursday, June 17, 2010

Test Ride TU-250

I've read great things about the TU-250, and it's inexpensive, so I thought I'd give it a chance. It's very light, and maneuverable at low speeds, and you have a lot of lock-to-lock for some very tight turns. It's very comfortable, and that comfort makes it feel like you're going slower than you are. Suspension was fine, nothing noticeable. The rear shocks were set at 3 of 5 preload. The engine runs smoothly, but I did have trouble shifting into 5th gear twice. A firm flick of the shifter got it into 5th. Clutch feel is light. The left mirror wouldn't stay adjusted on my ride. The engine. As mentioned, smooth, and the fuel injection means easy start and smooth operation. However, at only 250cc, it has trouble making 55mph, and I'd expect with enough space it could get into the high 60s.
Compared to the Buell Blast, it's no contest. The Blast falls under my qualifications as a Real Bike- one that can do anything and go anywhere you ask of it. It may be the smallest bike to qualify. The TU-250 is more comfortable for me, and is a better 'under 40mph' bike. I think it would be the perfect delivery bike. It's a great bike to learn on.
I keep coming back to bikes I've owned (Blast, Ninja 500) as bikes that best fit me and fit the qualities I'm currently looking for in a bike. Maybe that's why I bought them in the past? As to the TU-250? So far, I've passed on it. It looks better than a Blast, but, for now, I can't see paying $3800 for an inferior bike. I wish I hadn't sold my Blast, as I don't look forward to sorting out another one, but with prices for used Blasts around $2K, I may be back in the Buell fold soon. I still have many accessories for it.

No comments: