Monday, June 21, 2010

2010 summer adventure pt1

Won a bike on eBay, it's located up in NE South Dakota. Bids from the shippers on eBay were around $500. I used uShip to get a bike last year, and was happy with the price, but you sacrifice a specific time window. If you're willing to wait an extra week or two, it's worth doing.
This time, I decided I'd like to go up and pick it up. It's summer, weather is nice, I've never been north of I-80 (Wyoming exempted), and hey, it's 'only two states away'. It's 13 hours away. For that time, I could make it to Vegas, Dallas, Chicago, Indy, or El Paso. 13 hours and I'm STILL in the middle of nowhere.
It'll be an adventure. I think I've roped a friend into going with me. The plan is to drive up on Sunday and pickup the bike, and take two days, via a less direct route, to drive back, hitting all the attractions in SD.
The plan is to hit:
Deadwood
Sturgis
Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Wall Drug
Badlands national park
Black Hills national park
(and Devils Tower in WY)

Ever notice all these are clustered in SW SD, west of Rapid City?
The Corn Palace is a little south east of where we're going, so we'll probably pass on it. There's a go-cart place and a small amusement park near where the bike is, but again, probably pass.

No comments: