Thursday, June 17, 2010

Test Ride BMW F800ST

The other bike I tested was a used BMW F800ST. It had been lowered by the previous owner, so I could operate it easy at a stop. Started up, it had a bunch of warning lights. One was for low fuel, another for low tyre pressure. There's a button to scroll through the computer pages, but I never was able to find an Odometer or trip Odometer. The ST is sportier,with a lower windshield and a long, low reach to the handlebars. Steering was heavier than expected, and the dealer also mentioned it after riding it to service to put air in the tyre. The tyres felt triangular, meaning the bike would fall into turns instead of being neutral. Engine was smooth and quiet, but didn't seem to have much power in the lower 1/2 of its RPM range. I ended up riding it in a lower gear than I normally would. Clutch was light, but it was hard to find the engagement point. Airflow hit me below the helmet. With the forward lean, I wish it had less protection, as the air could help support my body.
The dealer also had a F650GS, which uses the same engine, but tuned for torque and not HP. I liked the short, wide reach to the bars. The suspension started tall, but with my weight settled into being only a little too high. Wind protection looks like less than the ST. I didn't test it. It's funny, but I want a bike between the two, but would have to modify either towards the 'center'.

I never did get to ride the lowered R1200GS they had. It's gone now. I would have liked to see if it has enough wind protection. I think I'd prefer it to the R1200RT, due to the lighter weight.


Overall, nice, but not for me. I want a more upright seating position, and more wind protection. In BMW model parlance, I'd want a RT not an ST. They don't make a F800RT.

No comments: