Thursday, July 29, 2010

Falling into the depths of obsessive compulsiveness

Just purchased a device called a Kill A Watt EZ. It's an electricity usage monitor. I plan on using it to see how much draw items in my house use. I'm wondering how much power my electric scooter draws, and how much power a turned off thing uses (TV, stereo, appliances, etc).

When I shopped for home solar, installers were surprised how little my bill was. At the time, two years ago, solar would have taken 15-20 years to pay for itself, even with rebates. I'll wait for it to fall under 10 years before I commit to it.

Tying the two together, the Kill A Watt EZ telling me how much juice my electric scooter is pulling may help me figure out about using solar to recharge it. Saw a 45 Watt system from Harbour Freight for $200. Also interested in seeing how much I need to do to recharge a netbook.

I expect this to be fun and interesting.

No comments: