Saturday, March 21, 2015

Day Trip pt1

Tomorrow I'm going on my first trip in the Tesla that's longer than the car's range.  A drive down to Colorado Springs is 127 miles.  EVTripPlanner.com says with hills and such, at legal speeds (no speeding), with my weight, on a 65 degree day, it will rated 137 miles of electricity.  I can't do a round trip with that, having a range of about 250 miles total.  The plan will be to drive down without stopping, a estimated 2 hours and 20 minutes.  Have lunch, have the meeting, and drive back to Denver, stopping at Park Meadows to recharge at the Tesla Supercharger there.  Go to the OTHER Denver Supercharger, meet a friend and grab dinner.  Drive home and plug back in.
That total distance before recharging is 181.3 miles, with a rated distance of 184 miles.  Should be no problem at all.  Now, if I set cruise control at speed limit + 5 mph, the rated miles goes up to 201 miles of electricity used.  Still shouldn't be a problem

If instead I drive back directly to the Denver East Supercharger, it's 199.3 miles, and a rated 193 miles.  I am going to do this as it's still easily done given the nice weather expected tomorrow.  If the weather had been cold, my mileage goes down, and I'd stop at the Park Meadows Supercharger.  If estimates are off and I'm using more power than expected I can stop at Park Meadows.

No idea why EV Trip Planner says my rated miles would be less than the distance as I end up at the Charger as it's 500 ft higher than where I start.

Update after the trip.

No comments: