Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tesla, two weeks in

It's a car.  It's my car.  It's my daily use vehicle regardless of weather (OK, in warm weather I might ride a motorcycle or bicycle to work).  I say this as the most asked question I'm asked about it is: "did you drive it today?"
As far as the vehicle itself: it's a car. That is, I'm not using it any differently than any other car I've owned.  I don't expect it to be any different unless I plan on driving more than 200 miles before getting home.

  As anything new, it has features that are new to me, and features missing from old vehicles I had.
I use two features more than any of the others, so far.
1- remote preconditioning.  I can turn on the climate control for the car remotely from my iPhone.  With a software update, I've activated smart preconditioning which is designed to learn my work schedule and automatically do the heat and cooling without me needing to anything.  I wonder if my schedule, not being a single set of hours for the whole week (M, TU, TH 12-9; WE 12-5; FR, SA 12-10; SU 12-6), will confuse the system making it fail to work correctly.
2- bluetooth media streaming.  It doesn't work as seamlessly as hooking my iPod up to my Dodge, but I don't need to constantly hook the iPod to a PC to download new podcasts or delete listened to podcasts.  I'm carrying a iPhone charge cable in the car in case a long trip saps the phone's power, and there's 2 USB ports in the car.

No comments: