Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Test Drive Suzuki SX4



Rented a new (as in 26 miles) Suzuki SX4 hatchback with AWD. It took me a few days to notice, but it also had a CVT. The CVT/ throttle interface needed some improvement, as when I was accelerating, and wanted to give it a little more throttle, the CVT would snap up a few thousand RPM and give me a lot more acceleration.


The AWD system was interesting. It had 3 modes: 2wd, Auto AWD, and Lock on a toggle switch. This made the Auto mode the default, but both the Auto and Lock mode (never figured out the difference) both lit lights on the dash.
Speaking of lights on the dash, the car had daylight running lights, but also had a headlights switch. No matter the setting (off, driving lights, lights), a light lit on the dash. Turning to the lights mode did dim the dashboard lights a bit, but I couldn't find a dimmer knob, plus all idiot lights, like the ones mentioned above, stayed at full brightness regardless.
The dashboard also had a bit of a computer, showing you instant mileage, outside temperature w/ ice warning, average mileage, and fuel range.

The seats were cloth and not very supportive, but fine for local trips.
The engine was peppy and did what I asked of it, but with my mild driving, still returned poor MPG. The computer said 22mpg, but the fuel bill vs trip odometer indicated 16mpg. I assume it was full when I picked it up.
As it was a new vehicle, it was missing an ice scrapper, and didn't have the 'tail' antenna installed.

The SX4 AWD was on my short list for an AWD vehicle a few years back, but time has not been good to it, as there are many other AWD vehicles currently available with much better mileage, and some even at the same price range. It was a good rental vehicle for a single person, but for the economy size, I'd want better MPG. The AWD was a nice trade off, one that I'd make in the future on winter months.

No comments: