Monday, March 21, 2011

Vegas trip notes

Back from Vegas.
notes by category:
Blue Man Group was a good performance and poor crowd which took a bit away from the show. The theater is smaller than the Luxor, I think. My ticket was bought via Allegiant Air. Got a great seat at a great price. There were two Allegiant references in the show, but otherwise I didn't notice anything else new. I was happy with the set list, mostly their old stuff. No classic song remakes (e.g. rabbit or baba o'reiy)
Saw Jubelee at Ballys. A classic Vegas show, it had showgirls, singers, acrobats. Felt a little hokey at the beginning, a bit summer stock musical, but I got into it after a bit and really enjoyed it. I was 2 rows behind the isle, and was surprised how many people left their seats during the show, sometimes to get more drinks.

My trade show felt fresh and different after a 5 year absence. They added manufacturer presentations, the exhibit hall was only open two days. They limited the possible size of each both, allowing more manufacturers in the hall, but it felt a bit empty.
I would liked to have had more evening events. Yes, we're in Vegas, but I'm there to learn, not to gamble or see shows. There was only one demo night, and they threatened to shut the lights off like they did last year. This, to me indicates that they need more demo time / nights.

Travel both ways was smooth. Had my bag searched by TSA on the way out. They relocked the bag (actually they locked it more). I was put up in a very nice room on the High Rollers floor. It was a half suite, with a bar, table and four chairs, couch (pullout) with coffee table and two end chairs. My queen size bed was a pull down, and was comfortable. Having a bar meant I didn't need to keep getting ice to keep drinks cold. I over bought drinks- 2 32oz Gatorade and a 12-pack of coke cans. I ended up leaving 1 Gatorade and 1 coke. I bought them all at a 7-11 a short walk from the hotel. I know of no other place where 7-11 is considered a cheap place to buy stuff. There was a Walgreen's on the strip in the Pails, and prices there were much higher, and they STILL didn't have the Walgreen's exclusive beer. Next trip I'll grab some at an off strip Walgreen's.

Checked out a bunch of watch stores, and as predicted, nothing caught my eye, or felt better than my Omega ti SMP. I did have one salesperson tell me that Rolex is much better made than my Omega.

No comments: