Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PKA 2010 down, G2 to go

Last weekend was the Professional Knifemakers Show in Denver. It's a 3 day show, which seems a day too long for a show of its size. Show was full this year, or at least all the tables setup were sold. I heard there were seven new makers. Spyderco was a no show, as were the Drapers. Took time off on Saturday to go to the Spyderco factory store. I was tempted to buy a few knives, including the Bug, Honey Bee, Grasshopper, and the brand new Native 3.5 . However, I left with just the Bug.
If I have to give a reason, it was that I had a discussion with a collector back at the show who was pruning back his collection. He came to the conclusion that he had too many items just sitting in drawers doing nothing. This made me think about the above listed knives. Would I carry any of them (maybe the 3.5)? I have a group of knives I carry regularly, as I do with watches. Some rotate in and out, but there's a style I gravitate to: 3.5" blade, slim handle, any lock I can operate with one hand. The knife I carry the most is a Benchmade 940. I has all these qualities. I wish the handles had more grip, and wish there was something keeping my hand on the handle if I were to thrust at something hard and fast. The 940 sister knife, the Gaucho fixes these problems, but adds a weird recurve/tanto blade shape. I've heard you can swap the blades, but never tried.
Got off on a tangent there. It was a fun show, see a lot of knife friends, picked up 2 lefties: an Eddie Baca custom and a ProTech Doru. I should trim the collection, but it's hard.

No comments: