Saturday, August 14, 2010

The mini Minicross

Drove an hour down to Denver this morning to do a Minicross, the Mini (car) version of an autocross. They're having their national convention here this weekend, and this is one of the activities.
I looked at the Mini back in 04 when they first came to the US market as I wanted a car along side my F150. I left a deposit on a Cooper S, but when I finally got to drive one I asked for my deposit back. I loved the handling, but it was a little underpowered, and hard to see up out of (at traffic lights). I ended up buying a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, a better car.
I was in Denver at this event, as I was interested in the new 4 door all wheel drive Mini, the Countryman. I found out that they were only showing it to mini owners in private tonight. So, I registered for this minicross, and told to show up a half hour before my hour slot of 9-10am. I got there at 8:30... and had to wait a half hour for registration to begin. 9am comes around and registration is smooth and I cycle outside where the cars are waiting. Everyone wants a stick, so I volunteered for an auto. I'm with a guy in the passenger seat from Mini. We start off, make a right turn, do some zig-zag back and forth lane changes in the street between cones. We make a right at the corner and do some more, another right, and we're done. That was it. I didn't even begin to push the car, as I thought there would be more to it, like a second and third lap or a autocross area or something. I was majorly disappointed.

They did have two of the Mini E electric cars there, but in a static display, not even with the hood open.

No comments: