Monday, November 06, 2006

Stranded via Buell

Nice day here, in the mid 60s when I left the house. Decided to ride the motorcycle. I've been having a strange problem with mine. It'll start when cold, or hot, but if I ride 2-3 miles and shut it off, it won't start. I believe this has to do with the auto choke being off, but not hot enough to start without it. I've been caught out three times doing local chores, but figured I'd be ok today. Stopped at the bank drive thru and kept it running. Went to McDonald's and shut it off to make a special order (no cheese). Went back outside and it started, idled for 10 sec while I started putting my gear on, and died. I couldn't get it to catch again. It'll turn over, the battery is fine, and it's not the dummy features (sidestand switch, clutch switch) because then it wouldn't do anything. It's just that there's no boom. Pushed and duck walked the bike a mile to work in full gear after waiting 20 minutes for it to cool. As usual I went out hours later and it started right up. I'm going to throw it at a dealer soon and see if they can reproduce and fix the problem. I like the bike, but need reliable transportation. So annoying! I figure in the 21st century they could have mastered the motorcycle as they have the car.

Tomorrow: Vote, haircut, dentist.

No comments: