Thursday, May 24, 2012

Craft Beer Week BINGO

Last week was Craft Beer Week.  Many of the local breweries had special events to celebrate.  10 Northern Colorado Breweries banded together and put together a game of BINGO.  36 beers were arranged randomly on a sheet (6x6) (there were different cards) and you had to go to, and drink, 6 of them to complete a line.  A complete line gets you a T-shirt.This was enough to get me out of the house and visit 4 brewers I hadn't been to yet.
Pateros Creek Brewery in Ft Collins is in Old Town, but sort of hidden at the back of a parking lot.  Small tasting room with 6 tables and a bar.  I had 2 beers and tasted a third.  Didn't like any of them.  They were styles I liked, but smelled funny and tasted off.  They're new and I hope their beers improve with age as our local brewery did.
Funkwerks is in the old location of Ft Collins Brewery.  Known for their Saison, I had that and a Stout, and liked them both.  A casual crowd, very hipster.  A few brought their dogs, and a bunch rode bicycles to the brewery.
Big Beaver Brewing in Loveland is another new micro, less than a year old.  Located off US34 in west Loveland, you can't see it from the street, it takes up two garages.  Bar and taps in one, a lot of tables in the other (good location for a band to play).  Had the beer I needed for the BINGO, not much to say about it: it's what I expected for it's type.
City Star is down in Berthoud, a very small town.  Located on main street (all 2 blocks of it), it has the advantage of being close to a few restaurants, so getting food with your beer is easier than most craft breweries located in industrial areas.  Having only opened two weeks before, they're still getting going, but I'm impressed with what they have scheduled and organized already.  They were out of their Red, but I had their Stout and tried their IPA.  Stout was imperial style,  and the IPA was a standard IPA.

Overall, I'd say I'd quickly agree to go back to Funkwerks (I want to try their White Saison), wouldn't mind going to Big Beaver and City Star, and would pass on going to Pateros Creek (at least for a few years).

Oh, I completed a line and got the T-Shirt.  I wish I could have done the trip with friends as I dislike drinking alone.

No comments: