Friday, March 30, 2012

I continue Apple assimilation

I just broke down and ordered the new iPad (iPad 3? iPad HD? New iPad?). This will have a bunch of uses to me, but the main should be as an eReader. It'll be my third, as I had an original Sony 500 and then upgraded it to a Sony 505. The problem with the Sony is book availability. There is a book I want to read that is only available in Kindle format.
I looked at the different Kindles, and settled on the Touch as I wanted an eInk reader so it would work well outside in the sun. However, that's all it does while the iPad is also a tablet computer. Plus, there's an App for the iPad that allows me to read Kindle format books, so I get to access all Kindle books as well as all Apple Store books (and most likely Google Books too). So, I can search for the best deal, or extras or whatever. Plus, when I check out ebooks from the library I'll be able to read all the formats, if the book is restricted to one.

I went with a wi-fi model as I don't expect to use it much outside the home hotspot, and I didn't want to pay $240/ year for an EXTRA cellphone data plan. And we don't have 4G here in town.


It also makes my next cellphone choice harder. I'm happy with my Android, or more accurately, I'm happy with the suite of apps I've downloaded (and paid for). But, if I can pay once for an app and get it on both the pad and phone...

No comments: