Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ducati test ride

I attended the last scheduled Ducati test ride today (sunday 6/19). I got to do a 40 minute test of the new Diavel. I wanted to test it as I hoped its low seat would allow me to touch the ground easy, and it would be a comfortable reach to the bars. The stock seat (I rode a Carbon model)(not worth the extra $3000 for the 12 lbs saved) was very comfortable, held me well. The bike can change the power delivery, but it doesn't change suspension like the Multistrada does. The 100hp urban mode had enough power, but it felt heavier, and I needed to use more throttle to do the same thing as the 162hp modes did. Clutch was very smooth. Suspension was a little rough, but there is an easy to reach knob that allows me to adjust the rear, but I didn't have time to try it out. Power delivery was smooth, even at low RPMs. As a naked bike, airflow was there, but smooth. Noise was low too. They make two different windshields, I wonder how much difference they make. The digital dash said I made 42mpg the time I rode. Dash has 2 trip odometers, and I can change the fuel display too.

I can see buying the regular $16,995 model if I were to get a new bike. It's a better motorcycle than the Thunderbolt, but the T-Bolt has bags, mabye better wind protection, a more upright seating position. So, it's better, but not better enough for a switch.

p.s. They took some pictures of me astride the bike with an umbrella girl, and they gave me a USB drive when I left, but pictures of me are absent from the drive. How's that for a dagger to the heart? "Thank you for coming, here are pictures of everyone else having fun." Of course, after hearing about the pictures, I decided not to take any myself.

No comments: