Monday, October 30, 2006

Time Estimates

Time keeps on ticking, into the future.
However, time seems to vary depending on what and where you are. Now, I'm not talking about 'a watched pot never boils' time. I'm not talking about events seeming to take longer or shorted than they seemed. I'm talking about how items actually take longer (usually) or shorter than predicted. This usually happens when dealing with individuals, rather than with people who are part of a larger system. I'm trying to generalize here instead of taking a specific area, like business, relationships, or whatever. I think self discipline has something to do with this, but also the tendency to over-promise.

If I'm driving somewhere, the further it is away, the worse my predictions become. My car GPS predicts better than I do, but I'm able to correct for conditions, rush hour, etc. Sometimes when driving to far away places I go to often, I ask my GPS to route me there, just to see what route it'll take me. Sometimes it takes different routes than I do, and I either discover a better route, or find my regular route is more complex but better.

When I was out east in mid Oct, I was using the Neverlost system, and it would take me different routes to the same place I would go to often, like from my hotel to my sister, and back. I did that route a few times, and it took me at least three different routes. I assume the time estimate was about the same for all three. I didn't mind as it got me seeing more of the area. I assume the longer route, with most of it being highway miles, was the fastest, as there were less stoplights and a higher speed. It was also easier for me as it had less turns and was better marked and lit.

When dealing with other people, I find that tradesmen and craftsman suck at these predictions. Now, I understand that the cable guy doesn't know how exactly long each job will take, but he does know what each job is, and should be able to narrow it down more than Afternoon. Others will schedule 10am, but will call letting me know he's running early or late, and that can be about an hour each way. When you go to them, like a gunsmith, TV repair, or a knife maker, I think they know what they have in the cue, know how long they'll take, and give you a good estimate. But they can't. Are Smiths closer to artists, and they need inspiration to hit them? Do they work in moods, or on an unusual schedule, like in spurts? I know that when they need items to work with that shipping is very accurate, and the shipper knows what day the order will be pulled from stock and sent out.

I wouldn't even mind broader estimates from a craftsman. 'By this time', or 'In X months' would be fine with me. I shouldn't have to take an estimate, double it and add a bit more to figure out when I should expect to see it, or contact to get an update.

I have horrible self discipline when doing stuff for myself, but am much better when someone is counting on me. When I become a craftsman, I'm going to do this right.

No comments: